Friday, November 04, 2005

 

VS2005 annoyances, part 1

As I may have mentioned, I do a fair bit of work in C#, and one of my big jobs is to maintain a pretty large image processing system in C#. I moved this sytem to VS2005, mostly because we wanted some of the new UI features. When moving a system from 2003, VS2005 has some most amusing bugs. Namely, my app has one main form where just about everything happens. The different parts of this form are written as user controls. All the user controls load fine and can be edited with no problems. When I start VS2005, I can load the mainform, and edit it. If I navigate away from that screen and go back, I get a message box that says 'Parameter is incorrect', and the IDE closes. Now, here's the fun bit. If I reload the IDE, it remembers that this form is open, so it opens it, but does not start with it visible. So, if I forget and click on it, the IDE crashes AGAIN. I need to go to the windows dialog, close the window from there, close the IDE and start it again in order to edit my main form.

Isn't that just brilliant. Just to add insult to injury, I did not notice this at first, and I told someone on the Microsoft forums that they needed to look into their own code before blaming Microsoft. So, I look like an idiot. Again.

Comments:
Ouch, nasty bug. I haven't run into anything like that yet. Are you doing anything odd or relying on conditions (i.e. some variable being non-null...) inside your user control constructors? That would be my only guess as to why its bombing.
 
Hey CG, check this out, it's sure to generate some traffic for you. Your blog got mentioned on the (in)famous mini-microsoft blog. Check it out here.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?